Over the past 200 years, the communities that make up Macomb County have changed significantly. Borders have moved, townships have turned into cities, and many villages simply ceased to exist.
Most of Macomb County’s communities have gone by different names over the years, whether formally or by nickname. Below is a list of some of the former names of the cities, townships and villages we know today.
Armada Township: Armadia Township (established in 1832)
Village of Armada: Burk’s (Burke’s) Corners, Honeoye
Center Line: Centre Line
Chesterfield Township: Macomb Township (1834-1842)
Clinton Township: Huron Township
Eastpointe: Orange Township (1837-1843), Erin Township (1843-1924), Halfway (1924-1929), East Detroit (1929-1992)
Fraser: Frazer (1895-1928)
Memphis: Wells’ Settlement (until 1848)
Mount Clemens: High Bank(s) and Big Springs (approximately 1797 to 1818)
New Baltimore: Ashley/Ashleyville (1840s-1867)
Village of New Haven: New Baltimore Station, New Haven Station
Ray Township: Rhea Township (founded in 1827)
Village of Romeo: Hoxie or Hoxey Settlement, Indian Village
Shelby Township: Village of Disco (founded in 1830's)
St. Clair Shores: L’Anse Creuse (settlement began in 1799), Lake Shore (incorporated with St. Clair Shores in 1925)
Sterling Heights: Jefferson Township (1835-1838), Sterling Township (until 1968)
Utica: MacDougallville (1817-1820s), Hog’s Hollow (1820s), Harlow (1829-1833)
Warren: Beebe’s Corners, Village of Warren, Hickory Township (1837-1838), Aba Township (1838-1839), Warren Township (until 1957)
Caitlin Gerds Habermas is an associate planner for the Macomb County Department of Planning & Economic Development.