Skip to main content
Email Subscription

To sign up for email updates from Macomb County or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your email address. If you would like to subscribe for text alerts please select Text Updates in the drop-down menu.

Office of County Executive
Mark A. Hackel

Getting Started

Getting Started

If you are considering starting a food business and are interested in renting space in one of the Detroit Kitchen Connect Licensed Kitchens, here's what you"ll need:

  1. Register for and attend one of the DKC Informational Workshops held at Eastern MarketYou cannot apply for MCHCS (DKC partner kitchen) space until you have completed the workshop.
  2. You’ll also need to complete ALL of the following BEFORE applying:
    • Complete a ServSafe Food safety course and receive a ServSafe Certificate. You will need to attach your ServSafe Certificate to you application.
    • Register your business (cost varies depending on what type of business you establish; application can be found at; this process will provide you with the necessary EIN/Tax ID Number you will need for your business; you will need to attach a copy of your registration (i.e. LLC, DBA, etc.) to your application.
  3. Acceptance into a MCHCS Community Kitchen requires:
    • First, you will need to fill out the application and pay the $200 deposit required (you will pay this AFTER your application is accepted but before you begin working in a MCHCS kitchen).
    • Purchase insurance (MCHCS requires a $1 Million general liability policy that names whichever Macomb County as co-insured. You will need to attach a copy of your insurance policy to your application.
    • You will apply for and be inspected for your Food License through Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development or the County Health Department; you cannot utilize any MCHCS kitchen space until you have been inspected and approved by MDARD.
    • Finally, you must create Standard Operating Procedures and Critical Control Points for making your product; you will need these for your MDARD inspection/licensing.



    • You will need an email account
    • You will need a business bank account
    • You will need packaging
    • You will need MDARD approved labels on your packaging
    • You may need nutrition facts on your packaging
    • You will need to know:
      • Who will make the product?
      • What is the shelf life of your product?
      • What is the cost of your product(s)?
      • What is retail or wholesale asking price?
      • Who is your target market? (Retail or Wholesale)
      • How will you distribute your product?
      • How are you planning on sourcing the ingredients?
      • You will need NFS approved equipment for making/storing products.


    Getting Started